Pathloss User Forums  

Go Back   Pathloss User Forums > Pathloss Forums > Pathloss Users Forum

Old 08-25-2005, 02:33 PM
Wk

Users of Pathloss,

I would like to know if Pathloss is able to perform analysis of 3.5 GHz Point to Multi Point systems based on 802.16 d (Wimax) preferably using Airspan equipment.

TKS
Old 09-24-2005, 07:23 AM

Default WIMAX

I'm just becoming familiar with WIMAX, but I'm not sure how to accurately depict both the antenna profiles. If you have more details I could try to assist. I have a very keen interest in WIMAX. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Pathloss for WiMax

I believe Pathloss will work fine for this application. I don't no what sort of specifications are provided with the radios; but, as you probably already know, you will need to have the following specs: transmitter power output, receiver threshold signal level (RSL corresponding to either 10-3 or 10-6 BER); operating frequencies. Other specifications such as DFM (dispersive fade margin) will allow for the most accurate reliability calculations. I don?t know if that spec will be provided, but Wimax uses OFDM (Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing) which is supposed to be very robust in the presence of multi-path fading.

If you have the gain and beam-width specifications for the antennas you are going to use, then you should be in business. I believe the antenna patterns only become important when intra-system interference analysis is being calculated.

At any rate, please keep me posted. I am curious about the performance of Wimax.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:09 PM

Unhappy Wimax

Wimax and Wibro are the 4G technologies. My guess is that they will be competing with 3G. They are nomadic to day but in the next release will offer mobility. Path Loss is not geared to do WiMax planning although the name is Wireless Interoperabilty using Microwave. But this is not the case. Vendors have dedicated tools to do link planning etc.